Steps to Fill Out the Choices Application
- Submit ONLY ONE application per child
- In the event that a paper and online application is submitted for the same student,
the paper application will be voided.
- Post Office box addresses will not be accepted for the student’s address. You MUST
have a resident address with house number, street, city, and zip code for the application
to be accepted.
- Enter all information requested. Any
changes of address or phone number submitted on the application for LAUSD
students must also be changed at the child's LAUSD school of attendance to be considered valid by
November 10, 2016. Non-LAUSD parents may change their address by contacting Student Integration Services. Please click here for contact information.
- Since paper applications will be electronically read, please print clearly in CAPITAL
LETTERS, using black or blue ink.
- Pursuant to California Education Code Sections 46300, 48000 and 48010, Senate Bill 1381, Students entering Kindergarten should be age 5 by September 1st and students entering first grade should be age 6 by September 1st. Students that do not meet the age requirements are not eligible to apply for or enroll in a Magnet program.
The e-mail address you provided on this application form will only be used by Student
Integration Services to inform you of the status of your child's application.
* It is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to complete the application.
View Online Tutorial on how to fill out the Choices Application.
- Enter your child’s last name, first name and middle Initial.
- Enter your child’s correct address, including the apartment number, if any, city and zip code. It is the parent/legal guardian’s responsibility to verify the address.
- Enter the grade your child is in this school year and the grade he or she will be in next school year (2017-2018)
- Fill in the bubble for your child’s gender.
- If your child has ever been enrolled in a LAUSD school, please fill in the “Yes”
bubble. (This does not include Independent Charter Schools).
- If your child has never been enrolled in a LAUSD school, please fill in the “No”
- Enter the name of the school your child is currently attending.
- Enter your child’s date of birth in this order: MM/DD/YYYY
- Enter your telephone number and your work, emergency or cell phone number.
- Enter the parent or legal guardian’s name and e-mail address. (The e-mail address is optional on the paper application).
- Magnet and PWT are Court-Ordered programs that require parents to mark ONE federally
identified ethnicity/race category on the application.
- Fill in the bubble next to the ethnicity or race that best describes the child for
which you are applying. You may fill the “Multi-racial/Multi-ethnic” response to
indicate the applicant is identified as more than one ethnicity/race but your application
WILL NOT be processed unless you select one of the federally identified ethnicity/race
categories for the purpose of selection.
- AMERICAN INDIAN/ALASKAN NATIVE A person having origins in the original
peoples of North America, who maintains cultural identification through tribal/community affiliation.
- ASIAN A person having origins in the original peoples of the Far East,
Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent, e.g., China, India, Japan, Korea or
- AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK, NOT OF HISPANIC ORIGIN A non-Hispanic person
having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- HISPANIC/LATINO A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central
or South American or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- WHITE A non-Hispanic person having origins in any of the original
peoples of Europe, North Africa or the Middle East, e.g., England, Egypt, Russia
- NATIVE HAWAIIAN/PACIFIC ISLANDER A person having origins in any of
the original peoples of Polynesia, Micronesia or Melanesia.
Option A | Magnet Program
Fill in the bubble in option A ONLY if you are applying for the Magnet Program.
Option B | PWT - Permits With Transportation
- This option allows you to select a Magnet Program for your child to attend. Fill in this bubble if you are ONLY interested in applying for a Magnet Program and not any other type of program.
- You have the option to list up to three different choices of Magnet Programs. Please do not list the same Magnet Program more than once.
- Please note that the second and third choices are optional.
- The Magnet Priority Points will be used for the applicant's first and optional second or third choice. If the applicant is selected to any one of their choices, the student will not be on the waiting list for the other choice(s). If not selected to their first choice applicants will be considered for their second and/or third choice. If there is no available space in any of their choices, the student will be placed on the waiting list for their first choice only.
- If the applicant does not get selected into a Magnet Program, the applicant will be placed on a waiting list for their First Choice Only. Any priority points that they may have had will be used, once they are placed on this waiting list.
- Please see pages 12-28 for the seven-digit school code and name of the Magnet. Place one number in each box and write the school name in the box to the right.
- Applicants currently attending a Magnet and selected into another Magnet will automatically be dropped from current Magnet program.
Fill in the bubble in option B if you are applying for the Permits With Transportation (PWT) program. Once students are accepted into the PWT program, they are allowed to matriculate to the next school level (elementary to middle or middle to high) without filling out a new application, providing that space continues to be available. Please visit: eChoices.lausd.net or call (213) 241-6572 to find out if you are eligible.
Select Magnet Schools/Centers.
Check Permits With Transportation (PWT) Program Eligibility.
SIBLING INFORMATION FOR MAGNET OR PWT
If this applicant has a brother or sister currently enrolled in the same Magnet or PWT school for which he/she is applying and the sibling will be continuing next year, please fill in the sibling’s last name, first name, middle initial and birth date. Points are assigned if the sibling is attending the applicant’s 1st choice magnet program. Siblings must reside at the same address at the time of application. It is the parent’s responsibility to verify that the siblings have the same address on file in the District computer system at the current LAUSD school of attendance by the application deadline.
Depending on seat availability at the particular Magnet Program(s) you have
your child may be
placed on a waiting list for the 2017-2018 school year. Other
Magnet programs of possible interest to you
may have space available for the 2017-2018
- Fill in the “yes” bubble if you want to share your child’s information.
SIGNATURE OF PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN
- Sign your name and write the date in the box provided to verify that all information submitted on the application is correct. If the applicant is selected, your signature authorizes the transfer of student records to the Magnet or PWT school. This application must be signed in black or blue ink.
- Falsification of information will result in the applicant’s removal from the program. Double-check your information. It is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to complete the application correctly.
- Your signature on the application signifies that you have read and understood the Choices Application Guidelines and Instructions.
Please contact Student Integration Services at (213) 241-4177 if you have any questions. Student Integration Services will be closed from December 26, 2016 to January 2, 2017.
© 2016 Los Angeles Unified School District, Student Integration Services
333 South Beaudry Avenue, 25th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90017
Telephone: (213) 241-4177 • FAX: (213) 241-8482 • Email: email@example.com