The Magnet Programs are Court-Ordered voluntary integration opportunities available to students in grades K-12 living within the LAUSD boundaries. Currently, there are
198 Magnet Programs located throughout the District. All District students, including English Learners, Special Education and Gifted/Talented are encouraged to apply.
Please review this website to determine if any of the programs fit your child’s
needs. These programs are choices that work for students, parents, the community
and the nation. To apply for one of the limited number of spaces, please view
the Choices Brochure or Choices Brochure
web page, complete the Choices application
and ensure that it is postmarked or received by the deadline of Friday, November
13, 2015 at 5:00 P.M.
If a student is continuing in the same Magnet Program at the same school next year,
no new application is necessary. However, if the child’s name was on a waiting
list last year, or wish to change from one Magnet to another, or if your child
will be matriculating to the next school level, a new application must be submitted
to be eligible for selection.
- Each Magnet’s openings are determined by the need to maintain a racially balanced enrollment and by available space.
- Students on a waiting list may be contacted regarding an opening up through the first month of school. If an applicant declines Magnet placement, ALL waiting list points are removed.
- Should an applicant leave a Magnet program before completing the culminating grade, no matriculation points will be assigned.
- Before making your school selection, please call the Magnet school’s Magnet coordinator to obtain information regarding the school’s orientation meeting, tours, uniform requirements, bus route information and other pertinent information.
- The applicant agrees to abide by the uniform policy or dress code set by the Magnet program selected and hereby waives any right to opt out. Please click
here to view the list of Magnet
schools/centers that enforce a uniform policy.
- Pages 10-23 of the Choices Brochure contain basic information about Magnet programs to assist you in making a selection for your child.
- Applicants who still wish to apply to a Magnet school or center after the November 13, 2015 deadline may submit a Space Available application online through eChoices.lausd.net website. The Space Available application will only allow for a single choice and will open December 1, 2015. Space Available seats will be open after all of the students on the Waiting List have been offered placement at the selected school site. Each Magnet’s opening are determined by the need to maintain a racially balanced enrollment and by available space. Filling out a Space Available application does not guarantee student placement.
- SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION, if the child’s name remained on a waiting list last year, or you wish to change from one Magnet to another, or if your child will be culminating from elementary to middle school or middle to high school.
- DO NOT SUBMIT A NEW APPLICATION, if your child is currently enrolled in a Magnet Program and wishes to continue at the same school. Applicants currently enrolled and/or on the Wait list for one Magnet program and selected into another will automatically be dropped from their current Magnet program or removed from the
waiting list and all waiting list points will be removed.
- If selected, parent must accept the placement by the deadline on the selection letter. If the school does not hear from the parent, the student will automatically be declined.
- Continuous enrollment Magnet schools accept applications throughout the school year. A continuous enrollment Magnet school gives priority to students residing within its attendance boundary. All other eligible LAUSD applicants will be selected provided space availability. Please click
here to view the list of Continuous Enrollment Magnet Schools.
- Applicants who make an error on their application will receive a correction letter in December. Applicants who do not correct the information and return the letter to Student Integration Services by the deadline will not receive points.
- There are no points given for submitting an application or for applying to a program for which the applicant is ineligible.
- ELIGIBILITY: All students living within LAUSD boundaries are eligible to apply. No screening, including grades, placement
tests or auditions may be used as criteria for admitting or eliminating
students. Only gifted, highly gifted and high ability magnets (pages 22-23)
require specific eligibility criteria (pages 20-21) for selection. All applicants
for gifted/highly gifted/high ability magnets must be verified or identified and
submit a Choices application.
- MATH/ALGEBRA: Students applying for high school Magnets should have successfully completed or be prepared to take Algebra IAB.
- OPENINGS: The approximate number of seats available in 2016-2017 and the number of applications submitted in 2015-2016 to each Magnet school/center can be found under each school's name.
For more information regarding an individual Magnet Program, including the
calendar for that school, call the principal or Magnet coordinator using the
telephone numbers listed under that school’s name in the Choices Brochure. For
general Program information, call Student Integration Services using the
telephone numbers listed below.
- (877) 4MAG-PWT or (877) 462-4798 (Toll-free number)
- (213) 241-4177
- (213) 241-6572
© 2015 Los Angeles Unified School District, Student Integration Services
333 South Beaudry Avenue, 25th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90017
Telephone: (213) 241-4177 • FAX: (213) 241-8482 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org