On-time Application WindowWhat should I look for?
- Visit https://GoTo.LAUSD.net to learn about our Choices programs.
- Review program eligibility criteria, if applicable, and application guidelines.
- Check your application for errors prior to submission.
- Make sure student/parent information is updated and accurate at the school site.
- Submit your application on or before the November 12, 2021 deadline (online or postmarked).
- If applying to a Gifted Magnet or Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) and enrolled in a non-district school, confirm that the school of attendance has submitted the Verification of Eligibility form on or before the November 12, 2021 deadline (email or postmarked). (NOTE: A Verification of Eligibility form is NOT required for Gifted Magnet/SAS applicants currently enrolled in an L.A. Unified school, including online instruction with City of Angels. Upon receipt of the application, the District will automatically review eligibility through a District verification process in January 2022.)
- If applying to a Gifted Magnet or Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) and homeschooled (without a verifying organization) or not enrolled in school, contact GATE@lausd.net on or before the November 12, 2021 deadline to initiate the verification process.
- If applying to a Highly Gifted Magnet, parents/guardians may contact Gifted/Talented Programs at (213) 241-4177 or GATE@lausd.net to verify eligibility.
Confirmation/Correction NotificationWhat should I look for?
- Errors on your application
- Magnet Priority Points, if applicable (For information, please see page 19)
- Verify sibling information is accurate
- Make corrections by the deadline indicated on the letter.
FEBRUARYSelect Programs Only
Program Eligibility NotificationWhat should I look for?
- Eligible - Application proceeds to the selection process
- Ineligible - Program application is dropped for each ineligible choice
- No action required
- Eligible does not mean selected
Selection/Waiting List NotificationWhat should I look for?
- Status - Selected or Waiting List
- Selected - Accept/decline online or contact the school by the deadline. No response is considered a decline. All declines are final.
- Waiting List - No action required. The school will notify you if a space becomes available. We encourage you to submit late applications to other programs. (For information, see page 6).
will receive letters
via U.S. mail.
receive letters via their
online parent account.
- You may apply to one or more of the Choices programs on a single application.
- Before applying, please contact the school to obtain information regarding the school’s orientation meeting, tours, uniform requirements, bus route information (if applicable) and other pertinent information.
- Before applying, the parent/guardian must carefully review program eligibility criteria and verification procedures, if applicable.
- By completing the Choices application, the parent or guardian agrees to abide by the uniform policy or dress code set by the program.
- Submit a new application if the child’s name remained on a waiting list last year, if you wish to change from one program to another, or if your child will be culminating (e.g., from elementary or middle school).
- DO NOT submit a new application if your child is currently enrolled in a Choices program and wishes to continue in the same program.
- Multiple-birth applicants (e.g. twins, triplets) must reside at the same address and apply to the same program (first choice only) in the same year in order to be placed consecutively in the Choices selection process.
- Siblings of students who have left the school, have culminated, or will culminate this school year, do not have sibling priority. Siblings must reside at the same address at the time of application. It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to verify that the siblings have the same address on file in the District’s computer system at the current L.A. Unified school of attendance by the application deadline.
- To receive sibling priority, parent/guardian must indicate each sibling on the Choices application and list all siblings in their Apply account. Sibling priority will be given to applicants whose siblings are currently enrolled at the same school/program to which they are applying.
- Parents/guardians will receive a notification of selection in mid-March. If selected, parent/guardian must accept or decline by the deadline on the Selection/Waiting List Letter. If the parent/guardian’s response is not received by the deadline, it is considered a decline. All declines are final.
- Parent/guardians can accept or decline online by logging into their apply.lausd.net account or by contacting the school before the deadline in their selection letter.
- You may only accept one Choices placement. Applicants currently enrolled in a Choices program who apply, are selected, and accept another Choices program will automatically be dropped from their current program.
- If the student does not get selected, he or she will be placed on a waiting list for his or her first choice ONLY within each applicable program. Your child’s name will remain on a waiting list regardless of whether you accept or decline another program. Affiliated Charter School applicants who are not selected will be placed on the waiting list for each Affiliated Charter School to which they applied.
- Students on a waiting list will be contacted directly by a representative from the school(s) if a seat becomes available.
- If a student declines a Magnet placement, they will forfeit their Magnet priority points.
- If you submit an application and would like to remove your application from the selection process, you must send an email to ApplyforSchools@lausd.net or mail your request by December 17, 2021, to: Unified Enrollment, P.O. Box 513307, Los Angeles, CA 90051.
- Online Choices applications can be updated until November 12, 2021.
- If multiple on-time Choices applications are submitted for the same student, the first application will be considered valid and all others will be disregarded.
- The 2022-23 CHOICES brochure and paper application are available online at goto.lausd.net or at any L.A. Unified school or office.
Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten and First Grade Applicants
Pursuant to California Education Code Sections 46300, 48000, 48010 and Senate Bill 1381, a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten (TK) if a child will turn age 5 between September 2nd through February 2nd. Students entering kindergarten are required to be age 5 by September 1st, and students entering first grade are required to be age 6 by September 1st.
Students can only apply for a Choices program for which they meet the age requirements. Students must meet the age eligibility requirement regardless of current school year grade placement. All subsequent grade placement decisions are made by the school principal at the school of enrollment. Not all Choices programs or schools offer TK. Choices programs offering TK classes are listed in the Choices brochure.
Prior to admission of a child into transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, or first grade, the parent/guardian shall present proof that the child is of the minimum age for enrollment as required by law. Falsification of information will result in the applicant’s removal from the program. It is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to complete the application correctly.
HOW DOES THE LATE CHOICES PROCESS WORK?
- If you miss the on-time application window, you may submit late applications beginning February 1, 2022.
- Parent/guardian can submit late applications to as many programs as they wish. A separate late application must be submitted for each school.
- Submit late applications online at https://apply.lausd.net or mail to: Unified Enrollment, P.O. Box 513307, Los Angeles, CA 90051
- Permits With Transportation (PWT) does not accept late applications.
- No points, preferences, or priorities are assigned to late applications.
- Late applications are added to the end of the school’s waiting list, if applicable, and applicants are contacted in the order received. Parent/guardian will be contacted by the school if/when a seat becomes available. Parent/guardian may be contacted up until the fourth week of the academic year/2nd semester. Exceptions: Dual Language Education and Affiliated Charter School applicants remain on the waiting list until the end of the academic year to which they applied.
- Late applications do not impact the on-time application process. If you applied on-time and are on a school’s waiting list, you do not need to submit a late application to the same program.
- Late applicants to Gifted/Highly Gifted Magnet Programs and Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) must meet required, program-specific criteria, however, verification of eligibility is processed at the school site. Verification of Eligibility forms for late applicants, if applicable, must be submitted directly to the school of choice when the parent/guardian is contacted by the school about an available seat. For more information, visit https://echoices.lausd.net.