ALL CURRENT L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS: READ SECTIONS A, B AND C
ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL, INDEPENDENT CHARTER, AND NON-L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS: READ SECTIONS A, B AND D
Prior to submitting an application, please review closely the sections indicated below to ensure that the application is completed accurately and on time. The application will be removed from the selection process if applicable criteria are not met by the deadline.
SECTION A: GIFTED MAGNET PROGRAMS AND SCHOOLS FOR ADVANCED STUDIES APPLICANTS
- Student has met program-specific eligibility criteria outlined in Section B. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to verify with the current school of attendance if the applicant has met the criteria before applying and that the Verification of Eligibility form, if applicable, has been submitted.
- Student resides within L.A. Unified boundaries at the time of application and while participating/enrolled in the program.
- If student is applying to a new school/program or matriculating from the 5th/6th or 8th grade (has completed elementary or middle school) the student must be reverified by the current school of attendance as eligible to continue in a Gifted Magnet Program or Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) site.
- Applicant acknowledges that late verification will not be accepted and the recommendation submitted by the principal of the current school of attendance is final.
SECTION B: PROGRAM-SPECIFIC ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Gifted Magnet Programs and Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) offer enriched interdisciplinary academic environments that are exciting, challenging, and encourage students to use creative/critical thinking skills. Both serve students who demonstrate the ability or strong potential to work two years above grade level in academic subjects and meet ONE of the criteria listed below. (All criteria carry equal weight in the selection process.)
FOR AN APPLICANT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A GIFTED MAGNET PROGRAM OR SCHOOLS FOR ADVANCED STUDIES, THE STUDENT MUST BE VERIFIED AS MEETING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA PRIOR TO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2020, AT 5:00 P.M.
Student is identified as gifted by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist in the Intellectual Ability, High
Achievement Ability, Specific Academic Ability, Creative Ability or Leadership Ability category.
- Upon receipt of the application, the District will automatically check the applicant’s eligibility through L.A. Unified school records.
- If the applicant was identified as gifted in L.A. Unified, but is currently attending a private school, independent charter, or non-L.A. Unified school, the parent/guardian must submit a Verification of Eligibility form to ensure that the applicant is included in the District database.
Student received total national percentile scores of 85 or above on a District-approved standardized achievement test in
2020, if applicable. Note: Due to the elimination of the 2019-2020 Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC), this
criterion has been modified for this year only
Student demonstrates the ability to meet ALL FOUR critical thinking and problem-solving skills (in primary language):
- Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information, or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.
Highly Gifted Magnet Centers group students to allow for a demanding broad-based academic program that provides advanced educational opportunities designed to serve the needs, interests, and goals of intellectually gifted students. Emphasis is placed on problem-solving and the development of higher-level thinking skills, as well as positive social-emotional growth.
Students eligible for Highly Gifted Magnet Programs are residents of L.A. Unified who meet:
- the highly gifted (HG) criterion score of 99.9 on an Intellectual Ability assessment administered by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist OR
- the highly gifted applicable (HGA) criterion score (between 99.5–99.8) on an Intellectual Ability assessment administered by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist.
Due to school closures, the timeline for on-time Choices applications to a Highly Gifted Magnet Program has been extended for this year only.
Students identified as HG/HGA are also eligible to apply to a Gifted Magnet Program or Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS).
Upon receipt of the application, the District will automatically check L.A. Unified records for eligibility. If the applicant was identified as highly gifted/highly gifted applicable in L.A. Unified and is currently attending a private school, independent charter, or non-L.A. Unified school, the parent/guardian must submit a Verification of Eligibility form to ensure that the applicant is included in the District database.
Parents/guardians may contact Gifted/Talented Programs at (213) 241-8361 to verify if the student is eligible to apply to a Highly Gifted Magnet Program.
NOTE: The Los Angeles Unified School District provides programs for gifted/talented students at all local resident schools as well as at Magnets and Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS). In addition, some schools provide specialized services for highly gifted students (e.g., Highly Gifted Pathway at Peary Middle School and Wright Middle School). Please call the school or Magnet center you are interested in for further information on its Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) services and support.
SECTION C: L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS (CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN AN L.A. UNIFIED SCHOOL)
SECTION D: PRIVATE SCHOOL, INDEPENDENT CHARTER, AND NON-L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS
The parents/guardians of private school, independent charter, and non-L.A. Unified students who are applying to a Gifted Magnet Program or Schools for Advanced Studies must follow the procedures below. This includes incoming kindergarten SAS applicants who are attending a non-L.A. Unified preschool or transitional kindergarten (TK). It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to verify that the student's current school of attendance has submitted the required verification form by Friday, November 20, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
For an applicant previously identified as gifted/highly gifted by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist, who is currently attending a private school, independent charter, or non-L.A. Unified school, the parent/guardian must submit a Verification of Eligibility form to ensure that the applicant is included in the District database.
- Download the Verification of Eligibility (SAS Kindergarten) form or Verification of Eligibility for Gifted Magnet Programs and Schools for Advanced Studies (Grades 1-12) form.
- Complete the student and parent information sections, sign and date.
- Provide the applicable form to the student’s current school of attendance, giving the school permission to complete all required sections.
- Call the Choices Support Line at (213) 241-4177 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the appropriate Verification of Eligibility form.
Once the Verification of Eligibility form has been completed by the school of attendance, school site personnel must submit the completed and signed form by Friday, November 20, 2020. The Verification of Eligibility form must be submitted in a sealed official school envelope with the principal’s signature across the sealed side or emailed by the school. (Do not submit the form with the application.) Late forms will not be accepted.
P.O. Box 513307
Los Angeles, CA 90051
NOTE: The Verification of Eligibility form is NOT an application. A Verification of Eligibility form must be submitted in addition to a Choices application prior to the deadline of Friday, November 20, 2020. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to ensure that the completed Verification of Eligibility form is submitted by the school of attendance prior to the deadline. For applicants to SAS kindergarten who are not enrolled in preschool or TK, please contact Gifted/Talented Programs at (213) 241-8361 or email@example.com for information regarding verification procedures or visit achieve.lausd.net/gate. Program Eligibility Letters will be sent in February indicating an applicant's eligibility status for Gifted Magnet Programs and Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS). Selection/Waiting List Letters for eligible students will be sent in March.