ALL CURRENT L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS: READ SECTIONS A, B AND C
ALL PRIVATE SCHOOL, INDEPENDENT CHARTER, AND NON-L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS: READ SECTIONS A, B AND D
Prior to submitting an application, please review closely the sections indicated below to ensure that the application is completed accurately and on time. The application will be removed from the selection process if applicable criteria are not met by the deadline.
SECTION A: GIFTED MAGNET PROGRAMS AND SCHOOLS FOR ADVANCED STUDIES APPLICANTS
- Student has met program-specific eligibility criteria outlined in Section B. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to verify with the current school of attendance if the applicant has met the criteria before applying and that the Verification of Eligibility form, if applicable, has been submitted.
- Student is residing within L.A. Unified boundaries at the time of application and while participating/enrolled in the program.
- If student is matriculating from the 5th/6th or 8th grade (has completed elementary or middle school) the student is reverified by the current school of attendance as eligible to continue in a Gifted Magnet Program or SAS site.
- Applicant acknowledges that the recommendation submitted by the principal of the current school of attendance is final.
SECTION B: PROGRAM-SPECIFIC ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Gifted Magnet Programs and Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) offer enriched interdisciplinary academic environments that are exciting, challenging, and encourage students to use creative/critical thinking skills. Both serve students who demonstrate the ability or strong potential to work two years above grade level in academic subjects and meet ONE of the criteria listed below. (All criteria carry equal weight in the selection process.)
FOR AN APPLICANT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A GIFTED MAGNET PROGRAM OR SCHOOLS FOR ADVANCED STUDIES, THE STUDENT MUST BE VERIFIED AS MEETING ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA PRIOR TO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2019, AT 5:00 P.M.
Student is identified as gifted by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist in the Intellectual, High Achievement,
Specific Academic, Creative, or Leadership Ability category.
- Upon receipt of the application, the District will automatically check the applicant’s eligibility through L.A. Unified school records.
- If the applicant was identified as gifted in L.A. Unified, but is currently attending a private school, independent charter, or non-L.A. Unified school, the parent/guardian must submit a Verification of Eligibility form to ensure that the applicant is included in the District database.
Student scored in the Standard Exceeded range on the 2019 Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) or received
a national percentile score of 85% or above on a District-approved standardized norm-referenced test in both English
Language Arts and Mathematics (most recent year only). See Verification of Eligibility form for qualifying subtests.
Student demonstrates the ability to meet ALL FOUR critical thinking and problem-solving skills (in primary language):
- Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information, or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.
Highly Gifted Magnet Centers group students to allow for a demanding broad-based academic program that provides advanced educational opportunities designed to serve the needs, interests, and goals of intellectually gifted students. Emphasis is placed on problem-solving and the development of higher-level thinking skills, as well as positive social-emotional growth.Students eligible for Highly Gifted Magnet Programs are residents of L.A. Unified who meet:
- the highly gifted (HG) criterion score of 99.9% on an Intellectual Ability assessment administered by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist OR
- the highly gifted applicable (HGA) criterion score (between 99.5%–99.8%) on an Intellectual Ability assessment administered by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist.
ALL APPLICANTS INTERESTED IN A HIGHLY GIFTED MAGNET PROGRAM MUST BE ASSESSED AND IDENTIFIED PRIOR TO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2019, AT 5:00 P.M.
Students identified as HG/HGA are also eligible to apply to a Gifted Magnet Program or Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS).
Upon receipt of the application, the District will automatically check L.A. Unified records for eligibility. If the applicant was identified as highly gifted/highly gifted applicable in L.A. Unified and is currently attending a private school, independent charter, or non-L.A. Unified school, the parent/guardian must submit a Verification of Eligibility form to ensure that the applicant is included in the District database.
Parents/guardians may contact Gifted/Talented Programs at (213) 241-8361 to verify if the student is eligible to apply to a Highly Gifted Magnet Program.
NOTE: The Los Angeles Unified School District provides programs for gifted/talented students at all local resident schools as well as at Magnets and Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS). In addition, some schools provide specialized services for highly gifted students (e.g., Highly Gifted Pathway at Peary Middle School and Wright Middle School). Please call the school or Magnet center you are interested in for further information on its Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) services and support.
SECTION C: L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS (CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN AN L.A. UNIFIED SCHOOL)
SECTION D: PRIVATE SCHOOL, INDEPENDENT CHARTER, AND NON-L.A. UNIFIED APPLICANTS
The parents/guardians of private school, independent charter, and non-L.A. Unified students who are applying to a Gifted Magnet Program or Schools for Advanced Studies must follow the procedures below. This includes incoming kindergarten SAS applicants who are attending a non-L.A. Unified preschool or transitional kindergarten (TK). It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to verify that the student's current school of attendance has submitted the required verification form by Friday, November 15, 2019, at 5:00 p.m.
For an applicant previously identified as gifted/highly gifted by an L.A. Unified designated GATE psychologist, who is currently attending a private school, independent charter, or non-L.A. Unified school, the parent/guardian must submit a Verification of Eligibility form to ensure that the applicant is included in the District database.
- Visit eChoices.lausd.net to download the Verification of Eligibility (SAS Kindergarten) form or Verification of Eligibility (Grades 1-12) form. (Click Verification of Eligibility for Gifted Magnet Programs and Schools for Advanced Studies.)
- Complete the student and parent information sections, sign and date.
- Hand deliver or mail the applicable form to the student’s current school of attendance, giving the school permission to complete all required sections.
- Call the Choices Support Line at (213) 241-4177 to request that the appropriate Verification of Eligibility form is sent to the student’s current school. Please have the current school name, address and phone number available.
Once the Verification of Eligibility form has been completed by the school of attendance, parents/guardians or school site personnel must submit the completed and signed form by Friday, November 15, 2019. The Verification of Eligibility form must be submitted in a sealed official school envelope with the principal’s signature across the sealed side. (Do not submit the form with the application.) Late forms will not be accepted.
P.O. Box 513307
Los Angeles, CA 90051
L.A. Unified Headquarters/Unified Enrollment
25th floor reception desk
333 S. Beaudry Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90017
NOTE: The Verification of Eligibility form is NOT an application. A Verification of Eligibility form must be submitted in addition to a Choices application prior to the deadline of Friday, November 15, 2019. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to call the Choices Support Line at (213) 241-4177 to confirm receipt of the completed form – Verification of Eligibility (Kindergarten SAS) form or Verification of Eligibility (Grades 1-12) form. Parents/guardians will not be notified when forms are received.